When you work in an office, there are a lot of things that you get used to. The sound of people typing on keyboards, the smell of coffee brewing, and the sound of someone walking down the hall. But one thing that many people don’t enjoy is the smell of their office chair. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as sweat, dirt, and dust. In this blog post, we will discuss how to clean office chair smell using common household items.
What Causes An Office Chair To Smell:
- When office chairs accumulate moisture, germs, or both, they have an unpleasant odor. A musty or acidic smell coming from office furnishings that has been used for an extended period of time is a distinct issue. If not taken care of, the problem will persist and become more difficult to resolve.
- The material of the office chair: different materials used in office chairs absorb smells differently. For example, the leather may not show signs of odor as quickly as the fabric but it is important to clean it regularly to prevent a build-up of bacteria.
- Sweating can cause an office chair to smell bad. When you sit in a chair for long periods of time, your body heat will cause the fabric to release sweat and bacteria will thrive. This is why it’s important to choose a chair with breathable fabric. If you are someone who sweats a lot, it is important to wipe down your office chair after each use. This will help to prevent the build-up of bacteria and sweat.
- Spills are another common cause of office chair smell. When liquids are spilled on chairs, they can seep into the fabric and cause an unpleasant smell. It is important to clean up spills as soon as they happen to prevent the problem from getting worse.
- Another cause is that the cushions are too wet, as mold and mildew can develop from deep within the chair’s plush and produce musty smells. So, it’s better to keep the furniture dry and use an air freshener or scented candle to mask the odor rather than eliminate it.
- The final cause of an office chair smell is simply bad hygiene habits. Employees who do not wash their hands after using the restroom or eating will contaminate the chair’s armrests, back, and seat.
How To Clean Office Chair Smell: An Easy Guide For A Fresher smelling Workplace
1) Ventilate The Room:
There are two methods to eliminate chemical odors from office chairs.
The first is to take the chair outside and leave it in hot, dry weather for an entire day.
The second is to ventilate the room by opening all of the windows and doors for at least 30 minutes.
This will help to circulate fresh air and remove any lingering odors.
2) Sprinkle Baking Soda: Part 1
Baking soda is a natural odor absorber.
Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the entire surface of the chair.
Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to absorb any odors.
Vacuum The Baking Soda: Part 2
After the baking soda has had time to work, vacuum it up using the attachments.
Be sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies to remove all of the baking soda.
3) Sun And Air Drying:
This is the best way to remove any remaining odors from the chair.
Take the chair outside and place it in direct sunlight.
If possible, leave it out overnight to air dry.
The fresh air and sun will help to remove any lingering odors.
4) Vinegar And Water Solution:
Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a bowl.
Dip a clean cloth into the mixture and use it to wipe down the entire surface of the chair.
The vinegar will help to remove any remaining odors.
5) Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is an excellent way to clean office chairs and eliminate bad smells. Simply combine equal parts lemon juice and water in a bowl, and use a clean cloth to scrub down the chair. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice to a spray bottle filled with water, and use this to mist the chair before wiping it down. Let the chair air dry completely before using it again. This method is best for chairs that are made of synthetic materials like polyester or nylon.
For A Leather Chair
If your office chair is made of leather, you’ll need to take a different approach. Leather is a natural material, and it can be damaged by citrus juices. To clean a leather office chair, mix one part white vinegar with two parts water in a bowl. Use a clean cloth to wipe down the chair with this solution, and then buff the leather dry with a second clean cloth. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the vinegar solution to help mask any lingering smells. Let the chair air dry completely before using it again. This method is best for chairs that are made of natural materials like leather or wood.
Repeat As Necessary:
You may need to repeat this process a few times to completely eliminate the odor from your office chair.
How To Prevent Your Office Chair From Accumulating A Smell :
Once you have gotten rid of the bad smell, you need to take some steps to prevent it from coming back.
- To prevent office chair smell, there are a few things you can do. First, make sure to clean up any spills as soon as they happen.
- The best way to prevent office chair smell is to keep the chair clean and dry.
- Wipe down the surface of the chair with a damp cloth after each use.
- Keep the cushions dry by using an air freshener or a scented candle.
- Be sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies, and dry the chair thoroughly after cleaning.
- In addition, keep the office well-ventilated to prevent odors from building up.
- Open the windows and doors to let fresh air in, and use a fan to circulate the air if necessary.
- Finally, practice good hygiene habits by washing your hands after using the restroom or eating. This will help to prevent the spread of bacteria and keep your office chair smelling fresh.
How Often Should You Clean Your Office Chair?
How To Clean Office Chair Smell is important, but so is How Often To Clean Your Office Chair. Depending on the type of chair you have, you should clean it every few months to once a year. Leather chairs should be cleaned every six months to once a year, while synthetic materials like polyester or nylon can be cleaned every three months. Finally, natural materials like wood should be cleaned every month to once a year. By following these guidelines, you can keep your office chair looking and smelling fresh for a long time.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to How To Clean Office Chair Smell, there are a few different methods you can use. Ventilating the room, sprinkling baking soda, vacuuming the baking soda, sun, and air drying, and using a vinegar and water solution, or lemon juice are all effective ways to remove bad smells from your office chair. To prevent office chair smell, practice good hygiene habits and clean up spills as soon as they happen. By following these tips, you can keep your office chair smelling fresh for a long time.